Texas Tamale Pie
One of my favorite recipes and everyone seems to love it, WIN WIN! We also have put a spin on the Texas tradition of serving tamales on Christmas Eve, and we serve Texas Tamale Pie instead. It’s fun and easy to make, and I hope you Love it!
This post contains affiliate links. For more information on affiliate links please visit YRL Disclosure Notice.
Things You’ll Need:
- 9×13 casserole dish
- 1/2 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 4 ounces shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish (Corningware is my fav) with cooking spray. It will stick to your pan if you don’t!
- Cook ground beef in a skillet (Lodge Cast Iron is my fav) over medium-high heat until brown.
- Stir in poblano peppers, corn, salt, salsa, oregano, enchilada sauce, and chipotle powder; cook and stir until beef is crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. It will look liquidy, and that’s ok, the corn bread will soak it up while baking.
- Mix both packages of corn bread mix in a large bowl with 2 eggs, 2/3 cup of milk, and brown sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Spread 1/2 the prepared corn bread mixture into the bottom of prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of both cheeses on top of corn bread mixture, then pour the beef mixture a top of that.
- Spoon the other 1/2 of the corn bread mix on top of the beef and carefully spread over the top with a spoon, leaving about half an inch from the edges of the pan. Then top with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes.