The changes we’ve made, week two, to the Yellow Rose House master addition. Plus, what’s been stressful so far.
I knew there would be changes, but I feel like there is a lot already! Since beginning January 3rd, it’s been a whirlwind! I feel so under the gun to make quick decisions. It’s such a welcomed stress, I really haven’t minded it at all. Today I’m sharing all the changes to the master addition, some unexpected concrete costs, and what’s been stressful so far.
Yellow Rose House at the end of week 2
Plan changes thus far:
-Move the bathroom wall 15 inches into the bedroom
-Vault the bedroom ceiling
-Pour concrete for the front and back porch
We decided to add more space to the bathroom since our bedroom size was already generous. We moved the wall that separates the bedroom and bathroom 15 inches into the bedroom. Making the bedroom smaller was just a little sacrifice for a bigger closet and vanity!
After deciding to make the bedroom smaller, I then decided I wanted a vaulted ceiling. I was hoping my husband and contractor wouldn’t strangle me…. but it was all good… everyone was very nice. hahahaha 🙂 Vaulting the ceiling will give the illusion that the room is bigger, so we won’t notice the change as much!
Master plans after changes made
We also had to change up the window plans. My original plan was to match the right side of the house by adding three thin rectangular windows in the new master addition. Plus, that would keep some of the original character of the home.
Well….. those windows are not up to code because they don’t meet egress requirements. (Egress: a place or means of going out: exit, according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary) The existing windows are only 2-feet wide and don’t open, and for fire safety, you must have windows that are 3-feet wide by 5-feet tall and can be opened.
I tried and tried to come up with a solution for the master bedroom. Nothing, absolutely nothing I liked stylistically. Not a single window option worked, it was either too many windows or furniture would be covering windows.
So, I decided to scrap the rectangular windows all together for a more modern look.
There are two windows in the kitchen currently that we’re taking out for more cabinet space. The original design plan has the 2 rectangular windows to the left of the door leaving for a large 6-foot X 6-foot picture window, to allow more light into the dining/kitchen area.
Now, the new master bedroom addition and the room on the far right side of the house will match with a large 6-foot by 5-foot window. See drawing below.
We will be up to code and my bedroom design doesn’t have to compromise.
I’m sad that I’ll lose the original character of the home, but we will be up to code and our house will still be beautiful!
Phase 2 of renovations will include a covered front and back porch. But, since the concrete truck was out pouring the foundation for the new addition, we decided it was the most cost-effective for them to go ahead and pour the front porch. Then when the concrete truck comes back in a week to fix the giant hole in the garage they made for the new plumbing, we will go ahead and pour the back patio. It’s the most cost-effective way to get concrete.
Two weeks in, What’s been the hardest??
The temperatures in Houston have been unusually low. It’s even snowed twice! See my snow video HERE. The plumber asked that we not use water on the far left side of the house, which includes the kitchen sink and laundry, so the glue joints could fully dry in the new underground plumbing. Well… 2 days has now turned into 6, and we are not done yet.
You wash dishes in the bathtub when there’s no water in the kitchen!
It’s all because they ran into a metal pipe when trenching to the septic tank in the backyard. All the important pipes have already been flagged, and there are no flags in the backyard where the pipe was found. Hmmmmm, head scratch. We also encountered a holiday Monday, and snow and sleet Tuesday and Wednesday, so hopefully tomorrow we can get someone out to evaluate our mystery pipe.
Even though it stinks to be without water in the kitchen and laundry, we have the apartment laundry and we have bathroom sinks for washing dishes! We’re still so happy to have started the project, we’re still smiling, despite the minor inconvenience!!
Let's Be Friends!
Be the FIRST to know NEW information about the house renovation and Yellow Rose happenings!!